The thought of drinking the blood makes me squirm, but I think when there is a sense of spirituality and community attached to the ritual, like the Maasai have, it becomes something special and important to do during our time with the Maasai. However, they aren't oblivious to foreign diets, and have adapted potatoes, rice, and vegetables to their diet. I'm interested to see if they have any thoughts about outside diets, and have ever heard about any American novelties, ( Hot Dogs, Chicken Wings, etc.) so I think that will be one of the interesting aspects of their lives to document.
We've got about a month left until the trip, but it still seems surreal to an extent. I don't think I'll realize exactly what I'm doing until I step off the plane, and get to experience Africa. People keep telling me, "It's going to be a life changing experience", but I don't really know what that means. What will the experience be, will I be horrified by disease and despair? Or maybe will I be empowered and motivated by the Maasai's sense of community and family? Who knows, but in less than a month, I'll find out.
Information about the Diet of the Maasai is from:
http://www.maasai-association.org/maasai.html
Hey Sam, I'm also interested in the diet of the Maasai. Certainly the thought of drinking cows blood is a bit foreign to say the least. I'd be interested in how the Maasai feel about certain cultural delicacies like caviar, or maybe sushi, or even squid. Might be interesting to broach the subject with them when your there.
ReplyDelete